If you’ve been hearing a lot about cosmeceutical skincare recently but haven’t got a clue what it is, we’ve created this expert guide to help give you the information you’ve been looking for.
What Are Cosmeceuticals?
The term “cosmeceuticals” is used to refer to a specific class of skincare products which contain active biological ingredients that can change your skin. Rather than just making your skin look good on a short-term basis, they’re actually physically capable of creating actual skin changes for the better.
Although “cosmeceuticals” have been around since the 1980s, it’s only relatively recently that the term has come into widespread use to mean a skincare product which is not quite a pharmaceutical but more than a cosmetic.
Sometimes known as “medical grade” skincare, a cosmeceutical product isn’t a drug and can’t treat problems with your skin. Instead, it’s used for an aesthetic purpose, improving your skin’s appearance in a simple and non-invasive way. There’s no need for a prescription and you can simply purchase them in-store.
What Are The Benefits Of Cosmeceuticals?
Although cosmeceuticals aren’t actually drugs, they do fill a specific niche within today’s beauty industry. They can improve cosmetic issues such as cellulite, hyperpigmentation, acne and large pores as well as combating the signs of sun damage and aging.
You can purchase these potent skincare products in regular stores, which makes them very accessible to everyone who could benefit and they can also work alongside topical prescription medicines to improve your skin condition even more.
What Are The Best Cosmeceutical Ingredients To Look Out For?
Not all cosmeceutical products are created equal, so you need to do your research to determine which are the best ingredients to look out for to help improve your skin conditions. There are a number of ingredients which have been proven scientifically to bring about effective skin changes for the better, so here are some of the top choices to look for when shopping for cosmeceuticals:
- AHAs (or alpha hydroxy acids) like lactic acid, glycolic acid, malic acid, benzylic acid and mandelic acid are all effective at exfoliating the skin and leaving it brighter, softer and smoother. Products like CosMedix Pure Enzymes Exfoliating Mask harness the natural properties of these ingredients to improve skin appearance.
- ALA (alpha-lipoic acid) is a potent antioxidant which protects the skin from damage by free radicals. It’s often found in serums and eye creams and can reduce large pores while increasing skin firmness.
- Hyaluronic acid occurs naturally in your skin but reduces when you get older. It keeps your skin firm and hydrated, leaving it smooth and plump. Products like Omni Serum AM contain this ingredient.
- Peptides are naturally occurring short-chain amino acids in the skin which stimulate the production of collagen to improve skin texture and firmness and reduce fine lines. Products like EndoTest by AQ Skin Solutions harness the natural power of this ingredient.
- Vitamins C and E are both highly beneficial for your skin. Vitamin C’s antioxidant properties stimulate the creation of collagen while vitamin E protects against elastic degradation and helps repair sun damaged skin. Products like CosMedix Restore Moisture Rich Mask employ these vitamins to great effect.
Cosmeceuticals are becoming more widely available and are becoming more accessible to everyone. They’re leading the way in today’s skincare, so it’s time to harness their natural power today.