When you’re expecting, it isn’t only what you put in your body that you have to be careful about: your pregnancy skin care regime could require editing as well. Certain ingredients absorbed through your skin into your body – and therefore your baby’s body too, so pregnancy skin care products shouldn’t include anything that could potentially harm them. Here at EF SKIN, we offer a range of the best pregnancy skin care products in the UK that help alleviate common skin concerns experienced during pregnancy. Our pregnancy safe skin care ranges will help give you a mum-to-be glow while protecting the little one.
Safe Skin Care Routine for Pregnancy
With the hormonal shifts and other changes our bodies undergo during pregnancy, it is common to experience skin changes. These range from stretch marks and melasma (a form of hyperpigmentation) to acne, skin tags and severe itching. As a result, your pregnancy skin care routine may need to address a different set of concerns than you usually experience.
If you do notice any changes to your skin, it’s important to ensure any new products you introduce are part of a safe skin care routine for pregnancy. You should also check over existing products you use to ensure they are safe skin care during pregnancy.
Some ingredients to avoid in skin care during pregnancy and while breastfeeding:
- Retinoids such as retinoic acid, tretinoin, palmitate and retinaldehyde
- High-dose salicylic acid, found in skin peels
- Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), found in tanning agents
- Hydroquinone, used to treat melasma
- Phthalates such as diethylphthalate
- Chemical sunscreens, such as oxybenzone, avobenzone and octisalate
- Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs)
- Aluminium chloride, found in antiperspirants
- Thioglycolic acid, mercaptoacetate or mercaptan, found in hair removal creams
- Formaldehyde-releasing chemicals, such as bronopol, DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, hydroxymethylglycinate, imidazolidinyl urea, quaternium-15, and 5-bromo-5-nitro-1,3-dioxane
Pregnancy Safe Skin Care
At EF SKIN, our recommended pregnancy skin care products have been carefully considered and can be combined to create a safe skin care routine for pregnancy. However, you should consult with your medical team before introducing any new products into your skin care routine during pregnancy.
Trio Therapeutic Skincare
Developed with the help of NHS experts, Trio Therapeutic Skincare is a luxury botanical skincare range that has been scientifically formulated for women who are through cancer treatments such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery.
Balanced draws on the remedial qualities of essential oils – all of those used in the collection are considered safe for use in skin care during pregnancy.
- Sensitive also uses pregnancy-safe essential oils and is designed to deep nourish dry and flaky skin, with anti-ageing properties.
- Extra Sensitive is a stripped back, essential oil free range of pregnancy safe skin care that can be used to calm extra sensitive skin reactions during pregnancy.
All Trio collections are 100% natural and free from added chemicals, parabens and oestrogens, and all are safe for use in your pregnancy skin care regime.
Safe on all skin types and cruelty free, DermaQuest products have been specially formulated by professional estheticians and chemists. With effective delivery systems, they are able to avoid using high concentrations of certain ingredients that are not considered part of a safe skin routine during pregnancy. Please note that not all DermaQuest products are safe for use in pregnancy , and we have only included their pregnancy safe skin care in this range.
There may be other products listed on our website that are safe for skin care during pregnancy – this is not an exhaustive list. If you have any questions or concerns about pregnancy skin care, contact EF SKIN and we will be able to advise further on the best pregnancy skin care products in the UK for you.